Get Started

  PDF this page

New/transfer veteran students:
Follow these steps to get started

Step 1

Apply to Lee College at Please save your login information as you may need it to inquire about your application status.

Step 2

To request your VA education benefits, you must first determine your chapter.

  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty: Chapter 30
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP): Chapter 32
  • The Post 9-11 GI Bill: Chapter 33
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA): Chapter 35
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve: Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607

Detailed information about these benefits is available online at Questions? Call 1.888.GI.Bill.1.

Step 3

Apply for VA education benefits. Applying online is the fastest; however, paper applications are available.

  • A veteran (Ch. 30, 33, 1606, and 1607) who has never applied for GI Bill benefits before will need VA Form 22-1990 or online at
  • A veteran (Ch. 30, 33, 1606, and 1607) who has received GI Bill benefits before and is transferring to our school needs will need VA form 22-1995.
  • A dependent (Ch. 35) who has never applied for GI Bill Benefits before will need VA form: 22-5490 or online at
  • A dependent (Ch. 35) who has received GI Bill benefits before and is transferring to Lee College will need VA form 22-5495.

Paper applications (1990 & 5490) can be requested by calling 1.888.GIBILL.1 (1.888.442.4551).

Step 4

In order for Lee College to submit your enrollment information to the VA so you can start receiving your benefits, Lee College requires the following steps completed.

For Veterans:

  • Request a copy of your military transcript.

Army (AARTS transcript)

Air Force (Community College of the Air Force)

Coast Guard

Navy (SMART transcript)

Marines (SMART transcript)

  • Request a copy of your DD-214 Member-4, if you do not have one available, at:

For All Students Using VA Educational Benefits:

  • Request copies of transcripts from all colleges and/or universities previously attended.

Step 5

Upon receipt of Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Eligibility (NOBE) Reservist brings in required documents and speaks with a Lee College advisor or counselor.

*Determine which steps need to be taken to complete registration.

  • Testing
  • Orientation
  • Degree Planning
  • Registration Information

Step 6

Complete “Request for Certification” form and submit to the Lee College Veterans Center. This form prompts certifying officials to certify your enrollment. Each semester you wish to use your VA benefits, a “Request for Certification” form will need to be submitted each semester. Please be sure you use an email address that you will actually check when completing the form. A certifying official will send you an email confirmation that your information has been submitted to the VA.

Please direct all inquiries to